Green and sustainable school
Elverum Folk High School has its own climate agreement, flies less and less and focuses on becoming a more sustainable school.
Through the goals in the climate agreement, we act sustainably in teaching, on study trips, when serving food and in running the school.
We are environmental beacons!
The UN defines sustainable development as "development that meets the needs of today without destroying the opportunities for future generations to have their needs met".
The international community must work on three areas simultaneously to create sustainable development - and we try to do the same.
Sustainable measures at Elverum Folk High School
- We have installed waterborne heat
- The school uses district heating - oil boilers and electric boilers have been removed
- We have energy management systems that allow us to control the temperature in each room
- We have restored, re-insulated and replaced windows etc. on large parts of the building stock
- We use furniture produced locally with a long service life
- We use and maintain buildings from 1928
- We use local suppliers
- We are Fairtrade School
- Environmental science is a common subject for all students
- We have seminars with sustainable themes; consumption, clothing and food
- Action research is an elective
- Redesign is an elective
- We have self-rescue as an elective
- We serve organic food such as milk, vegetables and fruit
- We serve vegan and vegetarian food for all meals
- There is no extra charge for being vegan or vegetarian
- It is possible to be a flexitarian
- Eight of our nine lines travel in Norway and Europe
- There is a focus on formation through personal development in a committed community
- Sustainability is a regular theme at teacher meetings and staff meetings
- We have a kitchen garden, berries and apple orchard
- We pick blueberries, currants, raspberries, mushrooms, apples and cranberries
- All jams are self-produced
- We reduce flights and use more rail and bus
- We have our own sustainability days
- We are active in the local community
- We arrange climate march
- We hold repair evenings for clothes
- Students have access to a bicycle and kick park
- Three charging stations for electric cars have been set up for students, staff and course participants